Monday, February 07, 2005

Monthly Spiritual Retreat - February

Second Month – February
Mortification

Penance is obligatory for us all; it is a matter of precept, not of counsel, and our Lord, in the Gospel, lays upon us the duty of doing penance (Matt. 3:2; Mark 1:15). No Christian can say that this commandment is not binding upon him, nor can he shirk the obligations imposed by the Church: fasting, abstinence and self-sacrifice. Even if some lawful reason renders an individual exempt from the literal fulfillment of these duties, yet the principle remains, and penance is rigorously required.

In the case, however, of those upon whom God lavishes special care and love, whom He has chosen, called, and set apart, counsel becomes precept, and penance ought to be the foundation of their spiritual life.

Lord, I am one of those souls. Thou hast treated me as a favorite child, and hast heaped graces upon me, even when I did not deserve them. In order to overcome me and save me, Thou hast made use of means most carefully chosen and unforeseen.

Therefore Thou desirest something of me, and I am Thy creature, in the fullest sense of the word. Thou art keeping and preparing me to be Thy tool. And first I must discharge the duty laid especially upon those whom Thou hast chosen; I must make reparation – for my own sins and for those of all men, near or distant. By my love and penance, I ought to give consolation to Jesus Christ. Mortification is the manifestation of the spirit of penance.

I must mortify my soul in its pride and selfishness, and struggle against self-love and the subtle assaults of egotism. Means to be employed: humiliations, self-abasement, privations endured or self-imposed. As far as it is possible without attracting attention or failing in my duty to edify others, I will be quick to avail myself of opportunities for remaining in the background, keeping silence or revealing my faults in all that does not affect God’s honor. I must aim at making those about me understand that He alone is the author of whatever good there is in me, and that all is bad or weak that proceeds from myself.

I will mortify my body – by enduring the weariness and annoyances of sickness and of daily life; by means of privations, especially by giving up outward gratification and food, insofar as this can be done without injury to my health. Almost every hour of the day supplies some opportunity for mortification.

I will choose by preference mortifications which involve a little humiliation, or which give my soul increased dominion over my body, and accustom my body to submit and to endure ill treatment willingly. I will never speak of these mortifications, but I will offer them up in a spirit of penance and reparation.

In society, I will strive to become more hospitable and accessible, more calm and gentle. I will take an interest in my neighbors and in everything good and beautiful – even in the pleasures of others.

Penance ought to impart additional life to the soul, and far from making the soul passive, penance should enlarge and strengthen, not restrict and weaken it.

From “The Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur: the Woman Whose Goodness Changed Her Husband from Atheist to Priest,” Sophia Institute Press®, Manchester, New Hampshire, © 2002