Friday, July 08, 2005

Monthly Spiritual Retreat - July

Theme: Detachment of Soul

This somewhat odd heading occurred to me this morning, while I was reading a chapter of the Imitation (of Christ – Thomas a Kempis).

The soul, created by God, is united by Him with a body, and this body clings to the soul by bonds more or less strong, according to our will and divine grace. The chief of these bonds, with which no human being has any right to tamper, will be loosened by Divine Providence at the hour appointed by the eternal will. But there are many other bonds, formed either by evil or our own frailty, which are not in conformity with God’s design, and render the soul the slave of the body. I desire to devote myself particularly to the task of setting my soul free, a task that, by divine grace, I have already begun

It behooves me, therefore, to bring my body more and more into subjection to my soul, and my soul more and more into subjection to God. By means of unflinching and persevering effort, I must day by day break these numerous fetters, which bind my soul too closely to my body.

Freedom must be restored to my soul, and my body forced to resume its position as servant – a position that will gradually become easy and even pleasant.

Of course, I ought to treat my body with consideration and even with respect, because it is destined to live again and share in the eternal happiness promised to me; nevertheless, in this world it is only an instrument of which my soul ought to make use freely, just as my soul itself is only an instrument in God’s hands. It is necessary for the soul to escape as far as possible from the trammels of the body, and to control and govern it, however great may be the body’s weakness or weariness, and however much it may rebel.

It goes without saying that there must be nothing here that savors of the false spirituality. I am not a pure spirit, and I am bound to accept in all humility this companion, which is so often burdensome to me. Here there is an opportunity for very wholesome and sanctifying mortifications. These penances, accepted and offered up in silence, will be hidden under outward smiles and a gentle manner. Austerity must be within, attractiveness without.

O God, how far I am from all this! Help me, Lord, and in spite of my frequent faults and many imperfections, make use of me in dealing with the souls that Thou lovest. May others see enough of my frailty to render me humble, and enough of the graces that Thou has bestowed on me to be led to glorify Thee and marvel at Thy great and amazing goodness.


From “The Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur: the Woman Whose Goodness Changed Her Husband from Atheist to Priest,” Sophia Institute Press®, Manchester, New Hampshire, © 2002