Thursday, September 01, 2005

Monthly Spiritual Retreat - September

Theme: Poverty of Spirit

Our divine Lord loved poverty; it was His companion from the manger to the Cross. He was Himself poor and lived among the poor, and ever since, many souls, chosen by Him, have followed His example and made poverty the foundation of their life, having adopted it permanently. This is not my vocation, but still I must not forget the very special graces given me by God, nor the consecration of my soul and my life to Him. He has, to some extent, set me apart, and my most earnest desire is that He will deign to make use of me for His own glory and the good of souls. How, then, can I, without disregarding the duties of my state in life, practice the poverty which my Savior has blessed?

By means of spiritual poverty.

Poverty of spirit means detachment from all that is purely human; making oneself small before God, our Creator and Master; practicing humility; seeking in nothing one’s own gratification, and waging war upon the least traces of pride or self-love.

Poverty of heart means cutting oneself off from every attachment that cannot last in eternity, ridding oneself of every human burden, and retaining only the love of God, and the deep and holy affections that He can bless, and that will develop more fully in Heaven. A heart devoid of all earthly desires and regrets attracts God’s notice, and is chosen as His dwelling place. I must not cling to money, position, the esteem of others, or the comforts of life, but be prepared to see all these things disappear and still be happy.

As far as is compatible with my duties in life, I will practice a little poverty. In matters affecting myself alone, I will avoid luxury and self-gratification in dress and occupations. Occasionally I will undertake lovely or somewhat humiliating tasks which I am not strictly bound to perform. I will aim at simplicity in my food, and choose in church and elsewhere a place among the poor, sometimes deliberately setting aside whatever might flatter my vanity. I will efface myself in favor of others, and lead them to forget the advantages of birth or fortune that Providence has bestowed upon me. Even when engaged in good works, I will not put myself forward, but strive everywhere and with all men to be in some small degree one of Christ’s poor.


From “The Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur: the Woman Whose Goodness Changed Her Husband from Atheist to Priest,” Sophia Institute Press®, Manchester, New Hampshire, © 2002