Friday, April 07, 2006

Lenten Meditation - April 8, 2006

I spent the afternoon of the radiant feast (Christmas) in tears, and I went to see the Carmelites. My surprise was indeed great when they opened the grille, and there I saw a radiant little Jesus holding a ball in His hand and on it was written my name. The Carmelites, taking the place of Jesus who was too little to speak, sang a hymn to me which was composed by my dear Mother; each word poured consolation into my soul. Never shall I forget this delicate attention of a maternal heart that always covered me with exquisite tenderness. After thanking all by shedding copious tears, I told them about the surprise Celine gave me when I returned from Midnight Mass. I found in my room, in the center of a charming basin, a little boat carrying the Little Jesus asleep with a little ball at His side, and Celine had written these words on the white sail: ‘I sleep but my heart watches,’1 and on the boat itself this one word: ‘Abandonment!’ Ah! though Jesus was not yet speaking to His little fiancée, and though His divine eyes remained closed, He at least revealed Himself to her through souls who understood all the delicacies and the love of His heart.

- St. Thérèse of Lisieux, Story of a Soul, The Trip to Rome

1 Canticle of Canticles 5:2