Thursday, September 15, 2005

Monthly Spiritual Retreat - October

(NOTE: I'm posting a little early, as I will be in the hospital next week; lcr)

Theme: Prayer

Prayer seems to be, according to God’s will, the basis of my spiritual vocation.

Action is often impossible for me, but prayer is a field always open to apostolic zeal. It is the safest mode of action and does not endanger humility. It keeps the soul in close and constant union with God. It effects much good in others and ourselves. It never breaks the deep silence that ought to prevail in the soul. It passes unnoticed by all, and this is seldom possible in the case of action.

I must therefore pray – the wholly interior prayer of the soul, proceeding from its innermost depths; without words, offering God my most ardent desires and love, and giving myself to Him. Prayer for myself, for the souls dear to me, for all souls, for the Church. Such prayer is an inward movement of my heart toward Christ, and a consecration of myself to Him, my Master and Friend.

My vocal prayer must be very regular; I will never allow myself the least license in my exercises of piety, my morning and night prayers, daily meditation, liturgical prayers, frequent communions, Rosary (at least one decade), the gift of all the indulgences gained during the day to the souls in Purgatory, and the offering of the day’s works and sufferings for particular intentions, for the welfare of souls or of the Church. I must bring to bear upon my exercises of piety all the attention, recollection, and fervor that my spiritual weakness and bad health allow.

I must pray in the spirit of humility for myself, weak and sinful as I am, for I have many sins to expiate and stand in need of much help.

I must pray in the spirit of charity for my neighbors, for my neighbors, for the souls dear to me, for those whom I cherish with ardent affection through and for Jesus Christ, for the most sinful, most distant, and most abandoned souls, and also for the Church, whose loving and devoted daughter I am.

I must pray in the spirit of reparation, for myself, because I have much to make good, for those whom I love, for sinners, for those who forsake and betray our Lord and His Church, for those who know them not, and for those who have no regard for Him who is alone love and truth.


From “The Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur: the Woman Whose Goodness Changed Her Husband from Atheist to Priest,” Sophia Institute Press®, Manchester, New Hampshire, © 2002