Sunday, January 01, 2006

Monthly Spiritual Retreat - January

Theme: Silence

Silence regarding God, spiritual matters, and my soul, unless speech is necessary to acknowledge my Faith or to do good to the souls of others.

Silence regarding my own soul, the graces that I have received, and my spiritual life, unless charity requires me to break this silence to a very guarded and humble degree.

Silence regarding myself, my trials, privations, and health. I will answer questions truthfully, without affectation, and be silent again.

Silence is good for the soul, essential to recollection, and conducive to humility. Remember our Lord’s silence throughout His life and during the hours of His Passion (Matt. 26:63; Mark 14:61)

When I am in the company of others, for their good, I will talk freely on exalted and serious subjects, the discussion of which cannot fail to enlarge and strengthen both my own soul and theirs.

I will talk about nothing trivial or mean, and no petty grievances. My speech shall be recollected, and my silence living.


From “The Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur: the Woman Whose Goodness Changed Her Husband from Atheist to Priest,” Sophia Institute Press®, Manchester, New Hampshire, © 2002