Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Lenten Meditation - March 22, 2006

Ah! how many lights have I not drawn from the Works of our holy Father, St. John of the Cross! At the ages of seventeen and eighteen I had no other spiritual nourishment; later on, however, all books left me in aridity and I’m still in that state. If I open a book composed by a spiritual author (even the most beautiful, the most touching book), I feel my heart contract immediately and I read without understanding, so to speak. Or if I do understand, my mind comes to a standstill without the capacity of meditating. In this helplessness, Holy Scripture and the Imitation1 come to my aid; in them I discover a solid and very pure nourishment. But it is especially the Gospels which sustain me during my hours of prayer, for in them I find what is necessary for my poor little soul. I am constantly discovering in them new lights, hidden and mysterious meanings.

I understand and I know from experience that: ‘The kingdom of God is within you.’2 Jesus has no need of books or teachers to instruct souls; He teaches without the noise of words.3 Never have I heard Him speak, but I feel that He is within me at each moment; He is guiding and inspiring me with what I must say and do. I find just when I need them certain lights which I had not seen until then, and it isn’t most frequently during my hours of prayer that these are most abundant but rather in the midst of my daily occupations.

- St. Thérèse of Lisieux, Story of a Soul, Profession and Offering

1 The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
2 Luke 17:21
3 The Imitation of Christ, III, 43:3